We’ve all been there. We get out of the store and think, “I’m going to make a batch of homemade beef jerky.” And then we have no idea how long it will last in our fridge before we eat it. Well, wonder no more! In this blog post, I’ll tell you how long is homemade beef jerky good for so that you know how much time you have left to enjoy your tasty creation!
How Long Does It Last?
Homemade beef jerky can last up to a month in the fridge.
The ingredients in a batch of homemade beef jerky will slowly start to degrade overtime, and after about three weeks you should stop storing it as fresh meat. The best way to tell if your home-made jerky is still good is by how dry the texture feels! If there are cracks or tears in the outside layer, then that means that moisture has started seeping into your dried meats and can’t be helped anymore.
While making our own jerky at home may not seem like an efficient use of time when we could just go buy some from the store (despite how expensive those packages usually cost!), it’s worth mentioning how much healthier this food choice actually is for us.
How Can I Make it Last Longer?
There’s a few things you can do to make sure your beef jerky can last:
- Make sure to store it in a cool, dry place and keep out of the sun or any other extreme heat.
- Keep it in the fridge or freezer to make sure that the moisture doesn’t rapidly attack it.
- Allow your jerky to come back up in temperature before eating – this will help you get all of those great flavors!
- Eat as much as possible and store what’s left for a little later. That way, everything is fresh with no worries about how long it’ll last without being refrigerated again.
- Allow your jerky to air dry for at least an hour after you’re done marinating it before you put it on the oven racks. This ensures that moisture doesn’t get trapped inside and can be removed from the meat itself!
It’s important not only how long homemade beef jerky lasts, but how we make our own as well! With these tips in mind, try making some yourself today and see how delicious this healthy snack is when made with care.
Beef jerky is a perfect food for the person who wants to take their lunch with them but doesn’t want to worry about it spoiling. It’s also great if you’re camping or on vacation. There are several things that can be done in order to make sure your beef jerky lasts as long as possible, including keeping it sealed and cold when not being eaten; keeping it away from moisture and heat (i.e., don’t store next to raw meat); using airtight containers so oxygen won’t ruin the flavor; wrapping tightly in foil before refrigerating; storing at room temperature rather than freezing where liquid may leak out of packaging causing spoilage). If these steps seem like too much work, buy some pre-made jerky and save time.